Friday, May 13, 2011

Camp

By Bridget

"Dad!!! PLEASE! Don't leave me here! I can go with you! I'll be good on the plane! The other kids will pick on me!!!! Mom! NO!"

The first time I ever went to a sleep away camp, was when I was about 7. It was not pretty. The camp was just a simple, craft, sports, games, swimming type of camp. I was supposed to stay a week, and my aunt would pick me up. While I was supposed to be there, my parents decided to take a "vacation" from us. Us meaning my brother, I think. Anyway, my mom and dad left me stranded at the camp entrance. I refused to go in. I thought about hitchiking. Just then a jeep came in. I ran into the camp, afraid it would runover me. There was a camp counsler. She told me to get in, and she would drive me to camp. Camp ended up being 2 miles into the woods. But it was so cool!!! There was this cool artificial lake, a big field for sports, canoes, decent cabins, electricity, and bathrooms! Actual bathrooms! Not poter potties! It was unbeilievable! I might actually like it here. I had nothing against nature, or the great outdoors. But, at the time, I was REALLY shy. (That is obviously not true right now) I was an average kid. I hadn't gotten glasses yet, and my hair was a median length ponytail. But I was still SUPER shy. Especially with people I never met before. My parents said camp would "help me to not be shy anymore," but I thought, No, you guys want me to have the worst summer of my life. I was in a bunk room with 3 other girls. I only remember 2, Maria and Lucille. The other one had to go back home because she got a fever 5 minutes into camp.

I have to tell you the truth. It was EPIC!!!! I made a lot of friends, and learned how to not burn marshmellows. I learned how to shoot a bow and arrow, and then how to use that skill to go fishing. I also learned a lot of smores are not good for you right before bedtime. Before I knew it, it was time to go. I was really sad. But I realized I wasn't shy anymore, so that was really awesome. When my aunt took me home, I immediatly feel asleep. (I admit it, everyone in my cabin would stay up until 2 or 3 a.m looking at stars, then wake up at 8:30 a.m.) I was behind on sleep, so before I knew it, I was back home 3 hours away.

No comments:

Post a Comment