Saturday, March 26, 2011

The Hike

By Lauren

As we neared the top of the hike I was getting hotter and more tired by the minute.  Then at the very top we turned a corner and there it was. A giant 200 foot tall sandstone arch, right in front of us. We were at the top of a hill and just having the arch below us made me feel special. On either side of the arch there was a 30 foot cliff, the path that lead under the arch was only about 10 feet wide. So Will and I went under it to take our picture. We were very cautious while walking under the arch. It was very scary being in between two cliffs but really exciting to be under the arch at the same time. My Mom was too nervous to stand under the arch, so Will and I took a picture with her at the base of the arch. After a while looking and standing under the arch it was time to go. I was sad to go and didn’ t want to ever leave this beautiful place. But I was also excited to see what else we would do today. The mile and a half hike down wasn’t the most fun thing in the world, but was much easier than the hike up. In the end I realized that the hike really was worth it and sometimes the best things in life you have to work and wait for.

2 comments:

  1. You've made me wonder where exactly you were traveling, Lauren. You described it so well that it reminds me of a place in Utah called Arches. I live in Colorado, so we have traveled there many times in the years we've been here. I liked that you figured out that the work of the hike was worth the pleasure of the sights.

    ReplyDelete