Saturday, March 5, 2011

My New Yo-yos (yes it is plural)

By Maeve

Have I ever told you about my Christmas? Well, for most of you, you've never heard about it. So, for most of you, the answer would be no. Well, for those of you who answered no, keep on reading and I'll tell you about it; for those of you who answered yes, well, you can either hear about it again, or just move on to another post.
 My Christmas was very, um... how do I put this? Peculiar. As always, I had three of them, but this time it was one on Christmas day, one was a little before Christmas day, and one was on Martin Luther King Jr. weekend. Let me just focus on the one that was on Martin Luther King Jr. weekend.
  I know, right now most of you are going, What? Martin Luther King Jr. weekend? That's nowhere near Christmas! And my brilliant answer to that is, there was a lot of snow at Christmas time in North Carolina. So the family gathered at Grandma's house on Martin Luther King Jr. weekend instead.
 As always, the atmosphere was very nice and cheery. All of my relatives on my mom's side were there, and so were some people that I don't particularly know. Everyone was happy, and there was a lot of talking. While we were eating dinner, my uncle was talking about his business trip to Alaska. I had no clue that that would have so much to do wit the present that i would get from them.
 After we had eaten, everyone went straight to the living room, even the adults couldn't wait to get presents. Grandma passed everyone's gifts to them, and once everyone had all of their presents, we started to open them. The first gift that I opened was from my uncle who went to Alaska. I tore off the wrapping paper, and then joked to him, "A small brown box, what an unusual gift." I was excited to see what was in that small brown box, so I opened it. And what was inside? Two small, furry balls that were attached to an unbalanced string.  I wasn't sure what they were, so I didn't know how to say thank-you, until my cousin piped up that they were Eskimo yo-yos. That helped a ton with thank-you terms.
 In the box there was also a small slip of paper. My aunt explained that these were the instructions, but they didn't make any sense until you watched the You-tube video. So, my other uncle whipped out his i-phone, and found the video on You-tube.
 The video showed that you had to spin one of the balls in a circle one way, wait a few seconds, and then spin the other ball in a circle going the other way. To keep the motion going you bob your hand up and down.
 I spent the rest of the day trying to get it, and my record now is something like 40 rotations.

No comments:

Post a Comment