Monday, March 19, 2012

A Disastrous Picture Day

by Laura

One day in the third grade, my teacher announced to us that next week would be Picture Day. Excited, I told my mom to buy the pictures. She agreed.
 On the much-awaited day, I woke up late. Frazzled and sleepy, I threw on a sweatshirt, jeans, sneakers, and forgot to brush my hair. Worrying about being late on the way to school, my mother didn't take notice of my rather boyish appearance. 
 However, when I got to school, I walked into my classroom just in time to see everyone stand up for the Pledge of Allegiance. Dresses, heels, button-down shirts, and slacks were everywhere. The first thing I remember thinking was, Oh, dang it, it's Picture Day.
 Trudging in, I handed the teacher my pass and sat down, ignoring the stares from my fellow classmates. One of my friends whispered, "Laura, you know it's Picture Day....right?" 
"Yes, I know." I responded with a sigh. "At least I do now."
I left her looking confused as the a tinny voice rang down from the intercom. 
"Second and third grade may come to get pictures taken." 
Uh-oh.

No comments:

Post a Comment